Care for Uganda work alongside Luwero district supplying mosquito nets to those in need. Malaria is the number one killer in Uganda.
However, in village situations, we found that many people were not using their mosquito nets because they were scared they would catch fire. Most people don’t have electricity, therefore, once it gets dark, around 7pm, small naked flame kerosene lamps are used. With up to 10 people living in a small building including young children, it’s very easy to see how the kerosene lamps can be knocked over and cause fires.
Care for Uganda have started supplying solar lamps which means that the kerosene lamps no longer have to be used. This enables mosquito nets to be used with no fear of them catching fire.